STEP UP YOUR BROW GAME
Microblading is a semi-permanent tattooing technique whereby hair like incision strokes are individually created along the eyebrow to enhance, reshape, fill (cover gaps of lost hair), to extend the eyebrows, or to fully reconstruct brows with little to no hair.
Also known as Embroidery, Microstroking, Feather Touch, Microfeathering and Hair Strokes, Microblading provides a means to partially or fully camouflage missing eyebrow hair with the appearance of simulated hair using fine deposits of cosmetic tattoo pigments that are matched to the client’s hair color and skin tone.
Fine deposits of cosmetic pigments are individually stroked via tiny hair like incisions in the superficial layers of the skin to cover gaps of lost hair, extend the brows, or used as a full reconstruction if the brows have little or no hair. Our Microblading Specialist will work with you to define the shape and density of your completed brows and will help select a custom mix of micropigments to complement your hair color and skin tone.
Because the pigment is superficial, as the skin sheds and cellular turnover occurs the pigment will soften and lighten over time. Making the results of this procedure “semi-permanent” and typically lasting between 1-3 years depending on skin type, lifestyle and the method selected.
LEARN MORE about the microblading procedure below, and by reading Everything You Should Know Before You Get Your Eyebrows Microbladed.
* Microblading has become a very popular, in-demand service, as a result many less than experienced individuals have begun offering this service in Columbus, OH and promoting themselves as microblading specialist. This is a semi-permanent procedure and as such we STRONGLY encourage you to do your due diligence before selecting a professional to perform your microblading service.
IS MICROBLADING RIGHT FOR ME?
If you are guilty of over plucking, have sparse/uneven eyebrows, have lost all or a portion of your brow hair, or simply desire to change your shape or get a fuller look, we can make your dream brows come true with Microblading.
* Not everyone is a good candidate for microblading. Pregnant or nursing women should wait until after they’ve delivered and/or finished nursing. Diabetics, hemophiliacs, or anyone taking a blood thinner should not have microblading done. Individuals with pacemakers, viral infections/diseases (HIV, Hepatitis C) and Accutane users are not recommended for microblading as well.
TYPES OF MICROBLADING
Microblading This method is ideal for candidates who have existing hair to blend with the created strokes, and best suited for those who have darker hair and want more volume. It is not recommended for those with both light and fine hair as the strokes will heal to be a bit thicker and may not blend naturally. Microblading is best for those with normal, dry or combination skin with smaller pores, but not ideal for oily skin types with larger pores.
Microblading + Ombré Brows This technique combines Microblading (hair strokes) with Ombré Powder Brow (manual shading) to create great dimension and depth, combined with the softest, most natural look possible. The addition of shading creates a misty, powder-filled brow mimicking the effect you achieve when you use a brow powder or pencil. This method is suitable for everyone including candidates who have plenty of existing hair, those with sparse or no hair, as well as someone with dense fronts but little hair in the tail end of their brow. It is also suitable for all skin types including oily skin with larger pores. Results tend to last longer thereby extending the time between touch-ups. Whether you’re looking for light soft shading, or show-stopping bold brows this technique can be customized to meet your brow goals.
Microblading is a two-step process, and initial consultation and service, and a perfecting session. The initial appointment takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours from consultation, to finished brows. Most of this time is spent on consulting and paperwork, measuring for symmetry and shape (an intensive and incredibly detailed process that insures brow perfection), before selecting and/or mixing the perfect color shade(s). The Microblading treatment itself only takes about an hour varying based on how sparse the brows are and the coverage area.
We will schedule your perfecting session (included in your Microblading service cost) visit 6-8 weeks after the initial procedure, giving your skin the proper time it needs to fully heal. Depending on your skin type, or if you have very little brow hair (including alopecia), additional touch-ups / color boosts maybe required and will be charged according to the current price list. But with one service (and a perfecting touch-up between), you’ll get 1-3 years of fabulous brows from this relatively small beauty investment.
PRE & POST-APPOINTMENT INFO
First thing we recommend is to go ahead and book your Perfection Session 6-weeks from your initial appointment. This ensures you get in for you second session at an appropriate time. If you wait until the day of your appointment to book your touch up you may not get it within the 6-10 complimentary touch up window. After 10 weeks it is considered a 3-6 month touch up and there is a fee.
• It’s important to avoid alcohol, caffeine and aspirin, ibuprofen, turmeric, and other blood thinners 48 prior to your Microblading appointment.
• Discontinue use of any skin thinners like Vitamin A/Retinol and glycol acids at least two weeks before your appointment.
• Discontinue Fish Oil or Vitamin E one week prior to your treatment.
• Do not tweeze or wax your brows 24 hours prior to the procedure.
• Do not dye your brows within 48 hours of the procedure.
• Do not tan and limit sun exposure prior to your procedure.
• Do not exercise the day of your procedure.
• Cosmetic Botox or fillers can alter the position of your brows, and therefore should be done 2 weeks in advance.
This is a complex and precision service the results of which can be adversely impacted by a failure to follow these instructions.
We will not be able to tattoo over any blemishes, sores, and moles in or around the brow area.
Come to your appointment with your brows drawn on how you like them to look. This helps in our conversations regarding your design. Bringing photos of brows you like helps as well!
For clients who have had chemotherapy, you must wait at least 6 months since your last treatment before getting microblading. That gives your skin and your immune system the proper amount of time to heal.
The big day is finally here! You’ve followed your Pre-Appointment Instructions provided online and in your email. Expect to be at the salon for two to three hours.
• We’ll start with a consultation, measure for symmetry and shape (an intensive and incredibly detailed process that insures brow perfection), map out your brow design before selecting and/or mixing the perfect color shade(s).
• Apply topical anesthetic (5% lidocaine cream) and wait approximately 20 minutes to make you as comfortable as possible. We’ll also be applying a secondary numbing agent throughout the procedure to enhance the effects.
• Time to microblade! Your individually-chosen pigment color will be implanted in the top dermal layer to create hair like strokes that mimic the appearance of natural brow hair and create the brow shape you’ve agreed upon.
• The service is complete! You can expect some minimal redness around your brow but can return to work immediately after the procedure.
• This redness will subside over the next few hours. As the numbing agents wear off, you can expect to experience slight discomfort. Most describe it as a sunburn sensation.
• Immediately after the service your brows will appear crisp and dark, do not be alarmed, they will fade significantly over a two-week period creating a very natural look.
Wow! How about all those compliments on your new brows?! Guess what? It only gets better. As your skin begins to heal and the scabbing subsides you will see lighter and softer feather strokes.
It takes about 2 weeks for the superficial layers of skin to close and heal. Deeper dermal layers of the skin will take up to 6 weeks to fully heal. This is why we’d like to see you again for your Complimentary Touch-Up ‘Perfection Session’ after it has been 6 weeks since your initial service. Please note: If you do not have your Perfection Session within 10 weeks of your initial appointment, it will be considered a Touch-Up Session and the associated service fee will apply. If you are having trouble finding time on our schedule, please call us.
Results will vary depending on skin type, lifestyle, and the immediate and your adherence to the prescribed long term aftercare. Those with oily skin types may have strokes that heal softer while drier skin types may heal crisper and more defined. Proper after care is CRUCIAL to ensure your best possible results. It is very important to follow these instructions for the full 10-day healing period to ensure proper healing and color retention.
• For 10 days after your Microblading service, take care when showering being sure to avoid direct contact with your brows and the shower stream. You’ll want to be sure to have makeup cleaning pads on hand during this time.
• On the first day after Microblading, clean your eyebrows with distilled water on cotton pad gently and apply aftercare cream every four hours.
• For the next two weeks avoid saunas, pools, hot tubs, steam rooms and sweating. It is recommended you take 10 days off from working out for optimal results.
• Avoid the sun for the next two weeks. Excessive UV exposure will alter the pigment of your tattoo. This includes tanning beds.
• DO NOT use light therapy on your brow tattoo. This can darken, lighten, and distort the pigment.
• DO NOT use Vaseline or Neosporin on your tattoo.
• DO NOT apply any makeup on your brows for 2 weeks.
• DO not use exfoliants, retinol products, or AHAs on the area for 30 days after the appointment. It will fade your tattoo prematurely.
• DO NOT get massages, facials, microneedling or skin treatments during the healing process.
• Wait two weeks before doing any waxing or tinting.
• Treat the brows like a wound and keep them dry and clean! Do not scratch or pick and if you must touch your brows make sure your hands are clean.
Click here to learn more about the Microblading Aftercare Instructions.
Take care of those brows and we’ll see you at your Perfecting Session!
Allow 10-14 days for brows to heal. During this time you can totally go to work and be in public but it is not recommended that you plan any special events or photo shoots.
• Day of your brow appointment your brows may look a little red or swollen. This is totally normal and usually subsides within an hour or two. The strokes will appear very crisp and well defined.
• Days 2-4 the pigment oxidizes and the color becomes darker. The brows often look much bolder in this stage. Don’t panic! it is only temporary.
• Days 5-7 The brows will start to lightly scab. Do not pick or scratch. The longer the scabs stay intact, the better your results will be.
• Days 8-14 Once the scabs have all come off the brows may appear dull or faded. New skin has formed covering the pigment. Over the next 2 weeks the strokes will come back crisper and darker. You may notice some strokes missing or unevenness. This is totally normal and we will go over the strokes at the perfecting touch-up session to reinforce them.
• After the perfecting touch-up – you will go through all the post procedure healing stages all over again and your brows will stunning for one to three years (depending on your skin type and lifestyle)!
Click here to learn more about what to expect during the Microblading Healing Process.
Most clients rate the pain a 3 on a scale of 1-10, and compare it to having your brows threaded. A topical lidocaine cream is applied to numb the skin at the start of the process, and at multiple times during the service. Some sensitivity comes immediately after the topical anesthetic wears off and after that, there is minimal tenderness and swelling. Having this service performed during your menstrual cycle may increase discomfort during your procedure.
The entire Microblading process takes approximately 2.5 to 3 hours from consultation, to finished brows. Most of this time is spent on consulting and paperwork, measuring for symmetry and shape (an intensive and incredibly detailed process that insures brow perfection), before selecting and/or mixing the perfect color shade(s). The Microblading treatment itself only takes about an hour varying based on how sparse the brows are and the coverage area.
Not if performed by an experienced microblading artist with an unwavering desire for perfection and undeniable artistic eye such as our own Fabian Lopez. When properly performed the microblading technique creates soft, natural-looking brows. When we implant the semi-permanent pigment under the skin with a cosmetic tattoo process, it looks more realistic than traditionally applied makeup.
During your consultation, your technician will analyze your skin type and undertones, brow color, natural growth patterns, facial shape, bone structure while also taking into consideration how you normally shape/fill in your brows. With their professional opinion and your preferential input, they will design and shape a custom brow that is natural and flattering for you. You will give them your feedback and tweaks will be made until we get the shape where you are happy. We will match the color to your natural brow hair, and (only) hair that sits outside the newly created frame will be removed.
A wide range of colors are available to complement your skin tone and hair color. Your microblading artist have trained with the best to become cosmetic color theorist and will work with you to select the perfect pigments to craft your perfect brows.
There is minimal swelling and redness, but you will go through a 4 week healing process before your Microblading Perfection Session – this is a touch up session 4-6 weeks after your original procedure. It’s necessary and included with the cost of your procedure, because we know that everyone heals differently and the outcomes of this treatment vary. During this session, we refine your brows to ensure they look perfect and retain their color!
Microblading is a two-step process: an initial consultation and service to establish shape and color, and a perfecting session 6-8 weeks later, during which we will assess your pigment retention and make adjustments. Depending on factors such as lifestyle, sun exposure, brow color, etc. you will then require future touch-ups every 1-2 years. We will schedule your initial Microblading Touch-Up / Perfecting Session (included in your Microblading service cost) visit 6-8 weeks after the initial procedure, to give the skin the proper time it needs to fully heal. It’s also an important time for you to get use to your “new brows” and determine if you wish to make any adjustments to the density or general shape of your brows during your perfecting session. But the touch-up helps “solidify” your results and helps them last longer.
Depending on your skin type, or if you have very little brow hair (including alopecia), additional Touch-Ups / Color Boosts maybe required and will be charged according to the current price list. But with one service (and a Touch-Up between), you’ll get 1-2 years of fabulous brows from this relatively small beauty investment.
Compared to other techniques, “microblading gives a very natural look and better simulates hair, says Fabian Lopez, Columbus OH microblading and brow expert here at PLEIJ Salon + Spa in Columbus, Ohio.
The pigments will not wash away like your topical makeup, rather they are “semi-permanent” and can last between 1-2 years but will begin to fade over time. Different factors including: skin type, sun exposure, pigment color (lighter colors fade faster), chemical peels coming into contact with the area, iron deficiency, salt water exposure and smoking will affect how fast the pigment breaks down.
In addition the skill or your microblading artist also plays a role. If your artist doesn’t go “deep” enough into the skin with their incisions, your brows will naturally fade faster as the body pushes the pigment out of the skin. If the pigment is placed in the epidermal area (which is not very deep) then your body will probably kick out all of the pigment over the course of 60 days or so which is the natural life cycle of your skin!
If you want your results to last as long as possible then we encourage you to follow the after-care instructions from your artist as closely as possible!
For best results, it is important that you follow the aftercare instructions and touch-up your brows every 1-2 years or as needed to keep them looking distinct and defined. A few ways to extend the interval between touch-ups / color boosts: Stay out of the sun, since it can fade the pigment, and avoid putting exfoliants (like retinol and glycolic acid) near your brows, because with continued use they’ll lift the top layers of your skin—and the color with it.
Most clients come for a color boost after 1 year.
*Please note that final results CANNOT be guaranteed, as each unique skin type has different retention and breaks the pigment down at diverse rates. We will re-evaluate how your skin has received the pigment during your 6-8 week touch-up (included in the initial procedure price) and make any adjustments necessary. Some people may require additional sessions if they have previous tattoos, light hair, very sparse brows or oily skin.
When performed properly, microblading should cost minimal damage to your natural eyebrows,” explains Joshua Zeichner, MD, director of cosmetic and clinical research in dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. However, it is important to visit a reputable salon. In the event that the technician deposits the pigment too deep in the skin or if you develop an infection, there may be permanent damage to the hair follicles. It is possible that the blade cuts some of your natural hair is in the process of depositing the pigment into the skin, however, these hairs should grow back in relatively short time but the loss will be camouflaged by your new microbladed hairstrokes.
Often times microblading cannot cover a tattoo. However, if the previous tattoo or permanent makeup has faded considerably, sometimes we can. Please call us and send us a photo of your tattoo before booking.